Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Getting Life Back with a Few Mini Projects

Two weeks ago, incredibly unexpectedly, and very sadly, my Nana died from complications of leukemia.  In some ways, her death was a beautiful tribute to her life, with all of her children, children-in-law, and grandchildren (and her one grandchild-in-law) around her to say good bye at the hospital and then celebrating her life throughout the week at family dinners, the wake, and the funeral.  However, to say that the loss of her has left me feeling empty, exhausted, and heart sick would be the understatement of the century.  I'm not sure I will ever heal from the loss of her; all I know is that I now have to figure out how to live my life without her in it, and that makes me even sadder than thinking about the loss of her.  She was just that special.

To keep busy over the last few weeks, with her continued illness weighing on my mind and then her death, I have needed some distractions, and so I have turned to my escape, sewing.  I have completed three little projects.

The first was a placemat and napkin set for a girl at my work who got married.  I don't know her that well, but wanted to celebrate her wedding by giving her a "dinner for two."  For the placemats, I used a pattern from Fresh Picked for all Seasons, a book I found tucked away in a local quilt shop.  I think they were simple, but sweet.

I then made some simple napkins (a big square, folded twice on every side and stitched).


Some women at the office are pregnant, and everyone chipped in in order to get them a gift basket full of stuff.  I made some baby bibs as my contribution.  They turned out very nicely, I think.



My husband, who has been wonderful through this whole month and will do pretty much anything to make me smile, thought they made better Noodle capes than baby bibs. (Noodle would be the beloved stuffed dog in the pictures below):

Admittedly, Nana would have smiled, too.

Life is good.  God is good.  Little lingonberries are everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment