Monday, July 23, 2012

House Hunted

It's been a while since I have been on, and to be perfectly honest, its because a lot has been going on in my life and I have been pretty overwhelmed by it all.  I promised myself I would not use this blog to be angst-y, so I think I will just say that for a while, I was seriously wondering how much more I could handle before I just broke down.

But God works in mysterious ways, and I have seen even when I doubt He is near, He is carrying me through.  (It sounds sappy, but that is genuinely how I feel.)

It all started last week when we went house hunting with our realtor on Monday.  We have been looking for about 3 months and have only found really, really, super gross properties  without much luck.  On Monday, we only had plans to look at two properties.  The first was a house in a nice neighborhood with which we were unfamiliar.  The second was a house we had seen before and had initially written off, but we were now willing to look again.

When we pulled up to the first house, I have to admit, I got chills.  The neighborhood was really sweet; the kind of place where there are basketball hoops in the driveway and kids riding bikes in the street.  A Lutheran Church was on the corner entering the neighborhood and I thought how lovely it would be to walk to church on Sundays.  We have typically been looking at the worst house in a nice neighborhood, but this house was different.  It was vey clean and polished looking.

The inside was even nicer.  Hardwood floors, 4 bedrooms... it was truly a great starter home... and potentially more.

There was something even more special about it.  It reminded me so much of my Nana.  The house itself smelled like her.  I could see how much the people who had lived in the house had loved it, just like my Nana had lived in my father's childhood home until she died.  I felt like Nana was watching over us.  One of the really hard things about searching for a house since her death was the thought that she would never come visit us in this house.  But this house put my heart at ease a little; I strongly felt that she was walking through the house with me.

When we left, our realtor told us, "If its meant to be, it will be." On Wednesday, we returned to the house with hubby's parents and the first thing out of my mother-in-law's mouth was, "This house smells so welcoming."

All I could think was, "It smells like Nana."

It seems meant to be.  On Thursday, we put in an offer.  On Friday, after (potentially too much) talking,  we accepted their counter offer.  This coming Thursday, we have a home inspection.  I know that she'll be there, too.

Proof that life is good.  God is good... and little sometimes huge lingonberries are right in front of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment